We are reflecting on 2023 with boundless gratitude to our donors, funders, volunteers, citizen scientists, and community partners. Your purposeful support for the lands you love in Monterey County has made all of this possible:
- With our acquisition of Basin Ranch in Carmel Valley, near Arroyo Seco and Greenfield, we have now conserved over 45,000 acres of land throughout Monterey County. We can’t think of a more fitting way to celebrate our 45th anniversary!
- Our Carr Lake Park project in Salinas is steadily moving forward and we plan to begin construction in late Spring 2024. For an exciting interactive experience about this multi-benefit project checkout our ArcGIS StoryMap.
- In the spirit of supporting future conservationists, our Youth Outdoor Programs celebrated 10 years of summer camps at Glen Deven Ranch — serving 1,091 campers since 2013! And more than 560 youth have participated in day camp programs at Arroyo Seco, Glen Deven Ranch, Marks Ranch, Martin Dunes, and Mitteldorf Preserve over the years.
- Over 260 volunteers and service learners continue to be a force for nature doing everything from pulling iceplant and trail maintenance to leading hikes and birding adventures. Each of these amazing people are amplifying our mission in powerful ways!
- We’re learning even more about our nature preserves’ biodiversity thanks to over 4,500 observations of 780 species contributed by 275 citizen scientist observers through iNaturalist. In addition, dedicated birders using the eBird app have logged 368 bird species at our nature preserves and Carr Lake Park project site!
In celebration of these accomplishments and to express our gratitude for so much more, we hope you’ll join us for our virtual You Make It Possible event on Wednesday, January 24 from 9:00am – 10:00am PST! Our President and CEO, Jeannette Tuitele-Lewis, and staff members will share this year’s inspirational stories of your generosity in action, as well as what we’re looking forward to accomplishing in 2024. We’ll also provide a sneak peek into the events we are planning, and you’ll have an opportunity to ask questions. RSVP here!
We look forward to seeing you there, and in the meantime we’re wishing you a healthy and happy New Year!
With our sincerest thanks,
Krista Hanni, Ph.D.
Big Sur Land Trust
Kate Mitchell Mehle
Director of Development
Big Sur Land Trust
P.S. If you haven’t had a chance to donate yet, please consider supporting the lands you love!