Job Title: Development Coordinator
Location: Monterey Office
Department: Fund Development
Reports to: Director of Development
Big Sur Land Trust (BSLT) is a non-profit organization with a mission to inspire love of land across generations, conservation of our unique Monterey County landscapes, and access to outdoor experiences for all. Founded in 1978, our legacy includes conserving over 40,000 acres and increasing access to public parklands throughout Monterey County. Our work promotes:
• Healthy Lands: Conserving and caring for the magnificent natural landscapes, habitats and waterways of our region to ensure a sustainable future.
• Healthy People: Providing opportunities for all who live in and visit Monterey County to experience the healthful benefits associated with access to parks and open spaces, fresh food, clean air and water, and a deep connection to nature.
• Healthy Communities: Engaging in partnerships where conservation and civic participation increase community vitality, economic prosperity and social equity.
The Development Coordinator is responsible for providing a wide range of administrative, logistical, and donor/volunteer engagement support related to our Development and Communications projects and goals. Duties include maintaining the flow of operations and communications in regard to donors/volunteers and the donor database; supporting internal and external meetings and events; and management of special projects.
• Relationship Building: Support relationship building efforts by accurately capturing constituent information, interactions and acknowledgments in donor database, provide acknowledgment phone calls and occasionally represent BSLT on hikes with donors.
• Direct Mail: Participate on the team working to produce and mail all direct mail appeals and general communications pieces.
• Donor/Volunteer Database: Support the production of acknowledgment letters for donors and the maintenance of constituent (donors, volunteers, partners and program participants) information as new records are created, pull reports to support communications, solicitation mailings and analysis of fundraising program effectiveness.
• Events: Participate on the team working to plan, organize logistics for, execute and follow-up on all BSLT events.
• Social Media: As needed, create banners/posts from supplied content for Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Help manage photo archive.
• Website Updates: Update events, posts, pages and forms to integrate donor database as needed. Attend ongoing training as required. Help team strategize about additional pages, photos, and graphics as needed. Manage web/database integration.
• General Communications Support: Create E-news blasts with supplied content 2x/month
(average), support donor response to Tribute Trees and Gift Hiking Passes as needed, proofread
communications materials as needed; write occasional stories.
• Other duties as assigned.
Prior Experience and Qualifications:
• Excellent written and verbal skills.
• Demonstrable results in project management.
• Able to perform multiple tasks at a high level and track a variety of projects.
• Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills that foster internal and external
consensus and cooperation.
• Must be able to perform in a team environment.
• Must be public-spirited and committed to the BSLT mission and strategic plan.
• Organized, highly creative, independent and self-motivated, enthusiastic, dependable, detail-oriented and driven by excellence.
Education, Skills or Training:
• Bachelor’s degree or 3-5 years’ experience, or equivalent combination of education and
• Knowledge of and experience in Development and Communications techniques highly desirable.
• Proficient computer and database skills (Microsoft Office, CRM systems).
• Familiarity with WordPress or other website-building tools; proficiency in Photoshop and social
media platforms a plus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to climb, push, pull and
occasionally move equipment.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
• The employee is occasionally required to perform mountain driving and hiking/walking.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Big Sur Land Trust offers a competitive benefits package including an extensive health plan,
which includes medical, dental, and vision coverage and life insurance; contributions to a 403(b)retirement plan; and paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave. Big Sur Land Trust is committed to building a diverse workforce. Big Sur Land Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
How to Apply: Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume by email to
The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.